It's time once again for the annual list of studs who will be retiring forever come June. The competition for these five spots was particularly fierce this year, with a great number of excellent studs saying farewell at the end of the breeding season.
5. Westernesse - With lines tracing to Passion Fruit and Almosta’s Hullabaloo, this grey stallion spent most of his life at Dreamflite Stables before being sold to Elantra Acres last year. He had 42 starts, earning a high rating of 125.70 and over $1.5 million. At stud, Westernesse has achieved a strike rate of 25.96% with over 100 starters. His best-known foal is probably seven year-old Western Fantasy, winner of the Turf Club Mile, who just began his own stud career. He stands for $55,000 publicly this year.
4. Gamma Draconis - A son of two otherwise-unknown producers, Gamma has lived his entire life at Uisce Beatha Acres. On the track, he earned a high rating of 125.70 and over a million in earnings. As a producer, he has a strike rate of 28.2% for 120+ offspring. His most notable foal is undoubtedly the five year-old stallion Lizard Lick, with a high rating of 131.85. He stands for $110,000 publicly this season.
3. Phelps For Gold - This black stallion was sired by a Sogo Samurai son out of an old-generation create mare. After earning over a million on the track and achieving a high rating of 125.60, Phelps For Gold went on to produce fourteen 120+ offspring with only 45 starters. His two most notable foals are London Twenty Twelve, a three-time cup runner with a 128.25 rating, and Quick For Gold, a 122-rated mare who earned over two million on the track. He stands for $55,000 publicly at A&A Thoroughbred Racing.
This season, we have a tie for first on the basis of strike rate. Both of the top two stallions have a strike rate of 30.77%. However, someone has to be listed last. Therefore, it was decided to use the number of cup-runners and overall number of progeny sired as a tiebreaker.
2. CR-Swift Hybrid-CR SDM - Swift Hybrid had an exceptionally long track career, earning over two million with no cup runs and achieving a high rating of 124.70. Hybrid’s pedigree is notable for its lines to older studs like Russian Tears, SomeAssemblyReq’d, and Shaggy’s Black Tie Affair. Of his 39 starters, 30 are 100+-rated, and 12 are 120+. His most notable foal, RCS Art Deco, ran a 127 rating and won the Lickety Split Stakes. Swift Hybrid stands publicly at Crestwood Horse Racing for only $110.
1. Starlight’s Botein MDC - Those “in the know” will be unsurprised to see this Ruffian's Honda Kisses son taking the first place spot. In addition to his lovely old pedigree, this boy has the highest race rating on this year’s list - 128.45 - and earned a cool million in his racing career. Since retiring, Starlight’s Botein has sired twenty 120+ offspring including 131 rr’d stallion The Turning Point, 131 rr’d cup-winning stud Masquerader MT, and two 127+ mares - Distaff winner No Place Like Homecoming and Oaks placer Shez Sinsational. Botein stands at Four Winds Park for 1 credit public or $4,000,000 to premium members.
0 comments - Comment on this Article